Associate / Senior Associate, Digital Law – EY Law, Auckland
The EY Law network brings together legal specialists around the world and is continuing to grow at a rapid rate. We currently have an exciting opportunity to join EY Law to advise on digital law issues in Auckland. EY Law has a truly global footprint, comprising over 2,100 lawyers across 83 countries. We work in conjunction with the market leading professionals of Ernst & Young to directly advise local and overseas clients.
We are seeking a lawyer with approximately 4-10 years' post qualification experience to join the Auckland arm of our growing practice. You will be involved in supporting and helping to grow the Digital Law team. You will also be involved in working alongside EY's consulting, transaction and tax professionals in multi-disciplinary teams.
Your key responsibilities
- Working closely with our Digital Law Leader on a variety of legal issues arising from digital innovation, including advising on data privacy (including GDPR), technology law, IP protection and commercialisation and regulatory issues
- Contract drafting on a range of privacy, commercial and digital matters
- Build strong internal relationships within EY Law and EY, as well as maintaining and building exceptional client relationships with new and existing clients
- Understanding and addressing client needs
- Business development activity, including writing and presenting
- Assist senior practitioners with research and analysis, providing high quality advice to EY Law’s clients
Skills and attributes for success
The ideal candidate will:
- Be commercially astute
- Demonstrate strong technical skills
- Have strong natural relationship building and inter-personal skills
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills and keen attention to detail
- Bring a positive approach and a can-do attitude.
- Have a genuine passion for digital and emerging technologies and the associated legal issues
To qualify for the role you must have the following:
- A strong academic background
- Experience in a top-tier, mid-tier, boutique law firm or Big 4 legal practice and/or relevant in-house experience
- A solid understanding of privacy, intellectual property and IT law
- Solid experience in contractual drafting, particularly technology agreements and IP licences
- An understanding of digital technologies such as AI, blockchain and IoT and an interest in helping to continue the growth of the Digital Law practice
- Excellent client facing skills and strong commercial acumen
- Experience in working as part of a team, with the ability to build effective internal and external relationships
- A desire to be part of growing a global law firm, including participation in firm strategy, marketing and business growth initiatives
- An innovative mind, looking for ways in which we can assist our clients to resolve their commercial problems more efficiently and cost-effectively.
- A willingness to co-ordinate and work together with the other teams within the EY Global network - EY Law is part of a global professional services network and a large part of our work involves working together with various other professional teams in various locations
About EY Law
We support clients in navigating a business environment that is increasingly global and complex. Our lawyers provide integrated, commercially-focused advice aimed at reducing legal and other risks. We don’t advise in a vacuum. Our people deliver legally sound solutions that also meet our clients’ strategic and commercial objectives.
Three things you probably don’t know about EY Law:
- We support flexible working conditions so that you can balance your work and life needs
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including up to date technical equipment, an on-site gym, extensive professional development training and discounts around banking and health insurance.
- You will form part of a world-wide community of lawyers that regularly exchange ideas and assist each other in going to market.
You know what your goals are. We want to help you reach them. This is why our goal is to challenge you with opportunities that utilise your unique talents, interests and skills. Building on your strengths is just one more way we build a better working world. Our goal is to help you achieve yours.
Make your mark.
The preferred applicant will be subject to employment screening by Ernst & Young or by their external third party provider.
© 2018 EY Law. All Rights Reserved.