Technical Manager - Insurance
Willis Towers Watson is a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company that helps clients around the world turn risk into a path for growth. With roots dating to 1828, Willis Towers Watson has 40,000 employees serving more than 140 countries. We design and deliver solutions that manage risk, optimize benefits, cultivate talent, and expand the power of capital to protect and strengthen institutions and individuals. Our unique perspective allows us to see the critical intersections between talent, assets and ideas – the dynamic formula that drives business performance. Together, we unlock potential. Learn more at willistowerswatson.com.
Corporate risk and broking
We know how companies can unlock potential through effective risk management. Our clients rely on us to craft strategies to quantify, mitigate, and transfer risk, taking advantage of our specialist industry experience and unparalleled market know-how. The result is a new way of embracing risk that drives superior results.
Overview of the role:
The Technical Manager will be an expert in technical aspects of insurance, and will be responsible for ensuring that a specialist level of knowledge is applied across the business. This part-time (0.6 FTE) role will be supporting client servicing teams to ensure a depth of technical knowledge is able to be demonstrated to our clients, and deliver on our promise of outstanding professional advisory service.
- Review of all existing Willis Approved Policies (WAP) wording to ensure all policies retain leading-edge standard of cover and meet relevant legislative changes
- Policy/product negotiation with insurers in relation to each of the reviewed wordings
- Provide specialist technical advice on policy interpretation and claims to ensure that insurer decisions are agreed with, and where disagreed with, that these decisions are challenged based on strong technical knowledge
- Insurer product (policy) analysis
- Lead technical briefings on topical insurance matters, including advice on legislative impacts to policies, to ensure that all client servicing teams are fully updated and able to provide value-add knowledge to our clients
- As required, provide relevant technical input into RFPs
- Represent Willis Towers Watson at relevant market reviews for legislative changes and implementation and advise on how proposed changes may impact on relevant policies
- Provide mentoring to client servicing teams and assist in developing and growing their technical expertise
- Highly experienced in the general insurance industry (at least 20-25 years’ experience)
- Strong understanding of business and commerce generally, the environment in which our clients operate and how the risk transfer process supports their overall risk management strategy
- Comfortable explaining complex concepts and making factual and reasoned recommendations to client servicing teams
- Strong negotiation skills coupled with an ability to be flexible and innovative
- Strong communication and people skills and able to build strong relationships with key decision makers internally and externally
- Experience in insurance law, particularly the interpretation of insurance contracts and legal disputes relating to contract wordings
- Ability to interact and manage strong relationships internally and externally
- Highly knowledgeable with regards to relevant legislation and how this may impact on an insurance policy
Applicants must have Australian or New Zealand citizenship or hold a valid and appropriate permanent working visa. Willis Towers Watson is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on any basis. We support flexible working and this role will be considered on a flexible basis.