Account Manager - Partnerships (689-668)
We believe that if we want to be a world class Kiwi Company we shouldn’t just employ people, divide them into functional departments and tell them what to do. Instead we give them a reason for belonging, the possibility of a bigger purpose, and a hunger for the extraordinary.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Commercial team as an Account Manager. In this role you will seek to maximise the returns to Z through the optimisation of the complex and fast-moving Partnerships portfolio. Further, through effective relationship management skills and commercial acumen deliver world class customer relationship management and financial performance in accordance with the ‘Commercial Fuels Why’. You will be primarily responsible for prospecting new business, servicing existing customers as well as portfolio planning and business development.
You will have:
- A strong customer centric approach and sound personal effectiveness skills
- Formal sales training to an advanced level
- Experience in successful building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders internal and external to the business
- A strong background and proven track record of portfolio management
- And of course, you’ll be passionate about helping Z become a truly world-class Kiwi company.
Z is now New Zealand’s most preferred fuel brand. We are committed to Diversity and Inclusion and last year were named an AON Hewitt Best Employer for the third year in a row. We have the Rainbow Tick and the YWCA Equal Pay Compact. This is a great company to be part of, where the people work hard and have fun. We are happy for the right candidate to be based in Auckland or Wellington and applications close midday Wednesday 25 July 2018.
Required Skills: Position Description
Auckland or Wellington
We believe that if we want to be a world class Kiwi company we shouldn’t just employ people, divide them into functional departments and tell them what to do. Instead we give them a reason for belonging, the possibility of a bigger purpose, and a hunger for the extraordinary. Having a career at Z means working with a company that is committed to your growth and personal development. We've got ambitions to be a world-class Kiwi company and we know it's our people who are going to get us there.
At Z, we focus on achieving outcomes by setting the appropriate context, rather than trying to control people - we believe in "why" versus "way". In choosing to work for Z there are things you need to know, things you need to do and ways you need to be. Most of all you need to understand why. Before deciding to join us, please read the Z Why
. If Z is a good match for your head and heart, come join us for one heck of a journey!
This role exists to maximise the returns to Z through the optimisation of the commercial partnerships fuels portfolio. Further, through effective relationship management skills and commercial acumen deliver world class customer relationship management and financial performance in accordance with the ‘Commercial Fuels Why’
Number of Direct Reports
Key Relationships Internal
Commercial Operations team
Commercial Supply Manager
Sales Support Manager
National Commercial Sales Manager
Commercial Network Sales Manager
Commercial Bulk and Multi-Channel Manager
Customer Relationship Coordinator
Customer Relationship Manager – Fuel Card Partners
Mini Tankers team
Caltex Lubes team
Caltex Retail Operations team
Key Relationships External
External Legal support
Prospecting new business
- Identify opportunities consistent with the Z Reseller decision tree for new business through prospecting . This provides opportunities for active portfolio management achieving greater financial performance for the portfolio
- Where appropriate refer non Partnerships opportunities to other Z Commercial sales teams
- Prospecting time is planned and focused based on learnings from past prospecting
- Maintain the pipeline management tool (Spancop) so that there are more credible opportunities than could be pursued in own portfolio
- Maintain relationships with competitor’s customers for the purposes of competitor intelligence and future business
- Maintain a calendar of and have a plan for winning upcoming RFPs from competitors’ or past customers, prioritised according to fit with portfolio strategy.
- Effectively sell differentiators of our offer including Fly Buys Z BioD and other initiatives and innovations which Z may offer from time to time.
- Bring on new business against agreed targets that are a fit for the portfolio strategy.
Servicing existing customers
- Maintain up to date and effective account plans for each customer
- Respond to customers concerns or queries in a world class way engaging others within Z as required
- As the person accountable for the health of the relationship with the customer utilise other stakeholders to develop layered relationships with own and customer’s organisation
- Through active listening and enquiry skills generate an understanding of what matters to each customer
- Share what matters to each customer with other stakeholders within Z to the extent that this affects how they serve them
- Constructively work with others in Z in the event customer satisfaction is compromised
- Review customer satisfaction results for own portfolio and prepares plans to deliver consistent improvement in relationship strength scores
- Coordinate RFP activity for current customers
- From a knowledge of what matters to each customer within the portfolio tailor solutions for benefit of the customer and Z
Business development and portfolio planning
- Act on opportunities to improve profitability and satisfaction by developing tailored offers to customers
- From time with customers identifies and works internally with subject matter experts to develop new offers
- Plans prospecting activity within portfolio to achieve greater financial performance
- Identifies and acts on changes to customer volume, ensuring opportunities are maximised
- Through effective prospecting can plan the likelihood of any loss of volume to mitigate the impact on portfolio profitability
Personal development/Industry forums
- Within their ‘Industry of expertise’ through attendance of appropriate events and forums develop relationships with other bodies and companies so that Z has an active and effective presence in the industry
- Has a comprehensive calendar of industry activity (within industry of expertise) and plans own and Z’s presence within this
- Actively involved in team and individual development activities
- Makes bold personal development plan commitments and completes these
- Develops a thorough understanding of the industry and use insights for benefit of own and other’s portfolio
- Completes all recurring personal development activities
Internally focussed activity
- Reviews and identifies any possible credit issues with customers, providing intelligence back to Z’s credit team
- Meets all deadlines provided for managing own costs, 360 degree reports, surveys, Spancop updates, monthly reports, HSSE and other internal requirements
- Keeps up with what is happening in other parts of the Z business by regularly reviewing company communication including CEO reports, intranet articles
- Actively contributes to company and office initiatives, particularly in regional offices
- Establish structures to ensure strong relationships with other Z people, particularly those who provide service to portfolio customers
Skills & Experience
- Minimum of five years proven high level sales and growth and change oriented organisations.
- Motivated by exceeding customers’ expectations
- Strong skills of inquiry to effectively uncover current and prospective customers explicit and implied needs
- Demonstrated commercial / business acumen and financial nous
- Strong negotiation skills
- Working knowledge of supply contracts.
- Full driver’s license
- An unquestionable ability and desire to build strong relationships with internal stakeholders
- Business degree or equivalent tertiary qualification
- Formal sales training to an advanced level
- Territory/portfolio management experience
- Sound personal effectiveness skills
- A proven track record of portfolio management / high-grading in a commoditised market.
- Outstanding listening and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Financial Modelling (excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel)
- Skilled in evaluating RFP’s (Request For Proposal) and preparing submissions – skilled at business writing, presentations and using Microsoft Word and PowerPoint)
- Skilled in use of Microsoft OneNote and the Office 365 package
Z is a distinctive company. One of things that makes us Z is our values; they are the soul of our company and these are the things that make us so very Z!
We believe that so much more can be achieved if we are united. If we share our thoughts, our knowledge and our passion then we’ll all share the success.
Have the Passion
It is impossible to be the best unless you are absolutely passionate about what you are doing and you take ownership of it. We are and we do. Our business helps to keep the country running. Literally. And we intend to do it better than anyone and bring more benefits to the whole of New Zealand.
There’s no point being in this business to be just another energy company. We intend to be the best. We can only do that by taking the initiative, by challenging the status quo, by being bold and courageous, and by backing ourselves. So that’s exactly what we do.
Be Straight Up
As far as we’re concerned there’s only one way to do business, and that’s the New Zealand way. So we make it our mission to be honest, open, transparent and real.
We Back Our People
We back our employees to grow and succeed. We give back to the neighbourhoods we work in. We back our customers by knowing what they want and making it happen for them.
Right now these are the areas where we stand for changing the game in New Zealand. We know we'll only be able to do this if we're all on the same page, so everyone at Z is expected to behave in a way which supports our commitments. You can read more about each of these in the Z Why.
We take personal responsibility for making health, safety, security and the environment (HSSE) a vital part of our business.
To us, sustainability means acting in a way that benefits the future of the neighbourhoods we operate in and the planet we live on.
We stand for making a positive difference where we live and operate in New Zealand.
Diversity & Inclusion
Z is committed to diversity & inclusion. We’re a company made up of a diverse mix of people which we believe makes for a more interesting and rewarding workplace, and better business results!
Z Leadership Competencies
Leadership Level: Leading Self
Make Things Happen
Act as One Team
- Deliver what you say you will deliver
- Show confidence and respond positively to new priorities
- Be determined to make a contribution to Z and a difference for our customers, show tenacity and don’t give up
- Motivate and support colleagues in tough times
- Follow up on issues until they are resolved
- Hold yourself accountable: ‘no excuses’
- Make decisions and take action
- Put what matters to your team and what’s important to our customers before personal goals
- Go out of your way to support and encourage others, even beyond your own team
- Positively support team decisions or initiatives
- Share your knowledge and expertise willingly
- Go the ‘extra mile’ for our customers
- Be patient when supporting others
- Share knowledge and skills for the benefit of the team
- Respect and value the contribution of others
- Champion processes and procedures that focus on safety, operational integrity and customer experience
- Seek, accept and act upon feedback to improve performance
- Own mistakes and demonstrate learning
- Recognise personal strengths and development needs and work with both
- Share knowledge and customer insights for the benefit of the business
Create What Matters
- Be committed, positive and passionate about your work
- Actively listen to our people and our customers, to understand what matters to them
- Communicate concisely, clearly and simply
- Role model the Z Why in all that you do
- Use initiative
- Show empathy; sharing your knowledge and supporting others
- Speak up and challenge where you see issues, risks or inefficiencies
- Volunteer for projects or new initiatives
- Bring a solutions focus to all that you do
- Offer considered opinions and well-reasoned arguments for change
- Respond positively to change and new ways of working
- Build on and support the ideas of our people and our customers
- Highlight opportunities for, and risks to the business
- Think about financial returns; suggesting ways to work more efficiently and effectively
- Know how we make money; making good choices and how we use company resources
- Prioritise activities, focusing on those that add the most value to our customers and to Z
- Demonstrate the customer matters in all you do
- Provide good value for money services
You are the owner of ensuring your actions and the actions of others you interact with do not cause harm. You are personally responsible for your actions around safety and intervene in unsafe actions of those around you.
Make HSSE part of what you stand for by actively identifying and reporting hazards, incidents and near misses immediately.
Read and understand the HSSE Stand, Zero Harm Pledge, the Z lifesaving Rules and our Golden Rules. Have knowledge of what your obligations may be under the law.