Procurement Specialist (698-668)
Z is all about solving what matters in a moving world, and our Performance and Value team exist to support Z in getting after this. We are here to enable the business and to allow them to get after those things that create real value for our customers, like deliver value through the provision of procurement expertise to develop strategic procurement plans and manage robust procurement processes that drives good commercial decisions and achieves target savings, synergies and efficiencies for each assigned category in line with key performance indicators.
In this role you will have an understanding of the procurement life-cycle, have the ability to promote sound procurement processes across the organisation and have strong relationship management skills. You will have at least 3-5 years procurement experience in a large company and contracting experience.
Here at Z, we reckon everyone is a leader. Although you won’t have any direct reports, you are still expected to create what matters and inspire others to get after the most important things. And of course, you’ll be passionate about helping Z become a truly world-class Kiwi company.
Z is now New Zealand’s most preferred fuel brand. We are committed to diversity and inclusion and last year were named an Aon Hewitt best employer for the fourth year in a row. We have the Rainbow Tick and the YWCA Equal Pay Compact. This is a fabulous company to be part of, where the people work hard, learn lots and have fun. Have a look at the detailed job description below and if you believe you’re a strong fit we’d love to hear from you. Applications close midday Wednesday 22 August 2018.
Required Skills: Position Description
Finance, Technology & Risk
Auckland OR Wellington
We believe that if we want to be a world class Kiwi company we shouldn’t just employ people, divide them into functional departments and tell them what to do. Instead we give them a reason for belonging, the possibility of a bigger purpose, and a hunger for the extraordinary. Having a career at Z means working with a company that is committed to your growth and personal development. We've got ambitions to be a world-class Kiwi company and we know it's our people who are going to get us there.
At Z, we focus on achieving outcomes by setting the appropriate context, rather than trying to control people - we believe in "why" versus "way". In choosing to work for Z there are things you need to know, things you need to do and ways you need to be. Most of all you need to understand why. Before deciding to join us, please read the Z Why
. If Z is a good match for your head and heart, come join us for one heck of a journey!
The Procurement Specialist delivers value through the provision of procurement expertise to develop strategic procurement plans and manage robust procurement processes that drives good commercial decisions and achieves target savings, synergies and efficiencies for each assigned category in line with key performance indicators.
Number of Direct Reports
Key Relationships Internal
Retail Sales Team
Marketing Support Team
Key Relationships External
Third Party Contractors and Suppliers
Manages defined categories:
Provides functional guidance and coordination for of all aspects of Procurement Management including operational and capital expenditure
- Category Analysis (internal and external)
- Sourcing and Negotiations
- Implementation of Agreements and Integration of Key suppliers
- Performance Monitoring
- Ongoing Supplier and Contract Management
- Supports the development and implementation of the Annual Contracting Plan (ACP)
Support the business in prioritizing, evaluating and executing Procurement Opportunities
- Supports the Procurement Manager assess, develop and implement a fit for purpose procurement model and associated processes and systems to drive greater value and outcomes for Z.
- Works with the Procurement Manager to ensure principles, strategies, processes and standards are applied to deliver procurement results.
- Support the procurement manager develop reporting and analysis to track progress against targets and key KPIs
Coordinate with other local leaders, including local business stakeholders to ensure the quality of service delivery for procurement
- Works collaboratively as a business partner to assess opportunities and manage supplier relationships. Oversees the process to do so and presents a business case and implementation plan for changes.
- Works with management to review plans, provide knowledgeable people to address issues, provide guidance review, and to implement--unless there is a business case presented to do otherwise.
- Regularly communicates plans and progress to ensure alignment and influence the broad adoption of cost reduction strategies.
- Works closely with the Procurement Manager and business stakeholders:
- Collocated with customer as needed to ensure tie to business, engagement, responsiveness and technical and commercial knowledge
- Monitor agreement compliance
- Direct Enterprise sourcing
- Track and report savings results and supplier performance information
- Supplier Management
- Participates in the development and implementation of long-term and short-term strategies for procurement.
- Participates in the negotiation and monitoring of the Procurement Service Level Agreement as support to the Procurement Manager
Skills & Experience
- Range of procurement categories Contract negotiation and management
- Strong relationship management skills (both internal and external)
- Supplier relationship management
- Development and management of competitive selection processes would be advantageous
- Tertiary Education required
- Tactical negotiation skills (2 – 5 years’ experience in a commercial or procurement role)
- Understanding of the procurement life-cycle
- Ability to promote sound procurement processes across the organisation
Z’s Values Z is a distinctive company. One of things that makes us Z is our values; they are the soul of our company and these are the things that make us so very Z!
We believe that so much more can be achieved if we are united. If we share our thoughts, our knowledge and our passion then we’ll all share the success.
Have the Passion
It is impossible to be the best unless you are absolutely passionate about what you are doing and you take ownership of it. We are and we do. Our business helps to keep the country running. Literally. And we intend to do it better than anyone and bring more benefits to the whole of New Zealand.
There’s no point being in this business to be just another energy company. We intend to be the best. We can only do that by taking the initiative, by challenging the status quo, by being bold and courageous, and by backing ourselves. So that’s exactly what we do.
Be Straight Up
As far as we’re concerned there’s only one way to do business, and that’s the New Zealand way. So we make it our mission to be honest, open, transparent and real.
We Back Our People
We back our employees to grow and succeed. We give back to the neighbourhoods we work in. We back our customers by knowing what they want and making it happen for them.
Z’s Stands Right now these are the areas where we stand for changing the game in New Zealand. We know we'll only be able to do this if we're all on the same page, so everyone at Z is expected to behave in a way which supports our commitments. You can read more about each of these in the Z Why.
We take personal responsibility for making health, safety, security and the environment (HSSE) a vital part of our business.
To us, sustainability means acting in a way that benefits the future of the neighbourhoods we operate in and the planet we live on.
We stand for making a positive difference where we live and operate in New Zealand.
Diversity & Inclusion
Z is committed to diversity & inclusion. We’re a company made up of a diverse mix of people which we believe makes for a more interesting and rewarding workplace, and better business results!
Z Leadership Competencies
Leadership Level: Leading Self
Make Things Happen
Act as One Team
- Deliver what you say you will deliver
- Show confidence and respond positively to new priorities
- Be determined to make a contribution to Z and a difference for our customers, show tenacity and don’t give up
- Motivate and support colleagues in tough times
- Follow up on issues until they are resolved
- Hold yourself accountable: ‘no excuses’
- Make decisions and take action
- Put what matters to your team and what’s important to our customers before personal goals
- Go out of your way to support and encourage others, even beyond your own team
- Positively support team decisions or initiatives
- Share your knowledge and expertise willingly
- Go the ‘extra mile’ for our customers
- Be patient when supporting others
- Share knowledge and skills for the benefit of the team
- Respect and value the contribution of others
- Champion processes and procedures that focus on safety, operational integrity and customer experience
- Seek, accept and act upon feedback to improve performance
- Own mistakes and demonstrate learning
- Recognise personal strengths and development needs and work with both
- Share knowledge and customer insights for the benefit of the business
Create What Matters
- Be committed, positive and passionate about your work
- Actively listen to our people and our customers, to understand what matters to them
- Communicate concisely, clearly and simply
- Role model the Z Why in all that you do
- Use initiative
- Show empathy; sharing your knowledge and supporting others
- Speak up and challenge where you see issues, risks or inefficiencies
- Volunteer for projects or new initiatives
- Bring a solutions focus to all that you do
- Offer considered opinions and well-reasoned arguments for change
- Respond positively to change and new ways of working
- Build on and support the ideas of our people and our customers
- Highlight opportunities for, and risks to the business
- Think about financial returns; suggesting ways to work more efficiently and effectively
- Know how we make money; making good choices and how we use company resources
- Prioritise activities, focusing on those that add the most value to our customers and to Z
- Demonstrate the customer matters in all you do
- Provide good value for money services
You are the owner of ensuring your actions and the actions of others you interact with do not cause harm. You are personally responsible for your actions around safety and intervene in unsafe actions of those around you. Make HSSE part of what you stand for by actively identifying and reporting hazards, incidents and near misses immediately. Read and understand the HSSE Stand, Zero Harm Pledge, the Z lifesaving Rules and our Golden Rules. Have knowledge of what your obligations may be under the law.