Mini Tanker Operator (Driver) Assessor (673-668)
Z is for New Zealand, and we reckon taking small steps every day means that together, we’re making some pretty giant strides. We’re always on the lookout for people to join the team and help us solve what matters for a moving world.
We have a national network of Mini Tanker's Franchisees who provide into vehicle and into small tank refuelling for our all types customers including farming, residential and construction. We need to make sure that both our franchisees (Zees) and their drivers are confident and competent to perform their roles safely. This is where you come in. We are looking for a Operator Assessor to join our Mini Tankers team.
In this role you will travel to each region to ensure that drivers are competent and where needed provide training support. You will do this for brand new drivers and do ongoing assurance checks to ensure our drivers are best in class.
Ideally you will have a Technical Class 2 and 4 licence, I Endorsement, have completed Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving (SAFED NZ) course and experience working in an assurance function.
You will also have:
- Very good communication skills both written and verbal
- Great relationship building abilities
- Enjoy the travelling around NZ for work
- Experience in training people
- A passion for health and safety
And while not essential, knowledge of into vehicle refuelling and HSNO would be an advantage.
Please apply even if you don't have every single thing on the list. We can provide training in some areas if you have some good experience and skills.
Z is now New Zealand’s most preferred fuel brand. We are committed to diversity and inclusion and this year were named an Aon Hewitt best employer for the fourth year in a row. We are committed to Diversity and Inclusion. We have the Rainbow Tick and the YWCA Equal Pay Compact. This is a fabulous company to be part of, where the people work hard, learn lots and have fun. Have a look at the detailed job description below and if you believe you’re a strong fit we’d love to hear from you. Applications close midday Wednesday 22 August 2018.
: Z Energy Limited/Mini Tankers
Mini Tanker Operator Assessor
The nature of the MT (Mini-Tankers) task requires heavy reliance on administrative controls (i.e. changing the way people work), specifically MT operators. MT operators generally work on the task alone and are required at all times, while on their shifts, to actively manage the operational risks in the Mini-Tanker business – 5 of which form part of Z’s enterprise HSSE operational risk profile .
They may receive limited risk management support during a shift from the Zees (aka franchisees) or the MT operations team (e.g. toolbox meeting or mid-shift phone call). In addition, MT operators must manage risk on customer sites, often interacting with employees of the customer. MT’s operational environment is highly variable. No two shifts are the same.
The MT Operator Assessor’ purpose is to ensure we are managing this risk effectively by conducting and overseeing the Mini Tanker Operator Assessment function ensuring that all Z MT Relief Staff , Zee’s operators and Zees themselves meet all requirements of being certified as a professional MT operator which include maintaining HSSE standards that are ‘Best in Class’ at all times. In the latter's case this also includes assessing capability (where relevant) of Zees to train their own staff/Zee operators Key relationships:
- Mini-Tankers - General Manager
- Mini-Tankers Operations Manager
- BDM - Franchisees Business Development
- BDM - Safe Operations Manager
- Operations Asset Coordinator
- HSSE Business Partner Commercial
- Mini-Tanker Zees Franchisees
- Other Mini-Tanker Operator Assessors
- Mini Tanker Relief Operator Coordinator
Location – Auckland
Direct Reports: Nil
Zee managed territories: 16
Company Relief Drivers
Mini-Tanker Operators: (circa) 90
Assessment and Training
Key support role to the Mini Tanker Operations Manager to ensure the implementation of the operator competency/HSSE objectives within the broader MT business and each Zee areas are provided at commencement of employment & then in an ongoing basis.
The role also has explicit accountability for improving the competence of all operators driving and operating Mini Tanker unit’s this also includes assessing Zees competence in conducting training/HSSE programs in their business in a manner compliant with MT (Zs) expectations.
- Assess all new Mini-Tanker Unit driver/operators are capable of safely diving a MT unit and operating our diesel onsite refuelling service ie signing off on them being a MT Professional Refueller (MTPR).
- In assessing the foregoing – independently assess if training has ben carried out by a Zee is adequate.
- Ensure all (MTPR) operators maintain capability and competence standards through conducting an annual assessment of all MTPRs
- In assessing the foregoing independently assess if ongoing supervision and/or coaching is being provided as support to operators by Zees, & coordinate any follow up on with franchisees or Mini-Tankers
Completing this through -
Job knowledge, skills and experience:
- Coordinate resources and content required to deliver the Mini Tanker training program – directly or via Zees - within the agreed timeframes
- Ensure competence and compliance with law is maintained at all times by all Mini Tanker operators
- Complete Mini-Tanker unit assessments annually
- Ensure all new drivers have an assessment completed before commencing driving unaccompanied
- Contribute to the development of the Franchisee training program and coordinate and facilate any training associated with this program – for subsequent use with their drivers.
- Main contact person for operator’s queries around training requirements of Mini Tanker owned truck/tank assets.
- Provide expert advice and assistance to the Operations/BDM Safe Operations Manager on the Mini-Tanker operator training program.
- Assist franchisees with development of Customer Service competencies.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures are understood and completed in accordance with the VOM (Vehicle Operator Manual) by all operators
- Take accountability for operator feedback and ensure any issues are closed out with the appropriate action and by the appropriate party.
- Any ad hoc tasks which may be deemed necessary
- At least 5 years’ experience driving a Class 2 and Class 4 vehicle and experience in training and assessment of candidates to predetermined criteria
- Ability to assess candidates against set standards and criteria
- Good understanding of key HSSE objectives in the workplace
- Commitment to customer service whilst also demonstrating an ability to not compromise risk management relative to customer and business needs.
- An effective negotiation and assertiveness skill to ensure efficient training is delivered in accordance with Mini Tanker requests and requirements.
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills to ensure positive relationships with key internal/external customers and stakeholders
- Computer skills are necessary to operate the On Board Computer, POS and delivery system
- Full working knowledge of key legislation e.g. Work time and logbook rule
- Class 2 licence – Pre requisite
- I Endorsement
- Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving (SAFED NZ)
- Fitness To Work Medical - Pre requisite
- HSSE – Knowledge
- Training and assessing skill - Mastery
- Manages knowledge and information – Skill
- Stakeholder engagement – Skill
- Commercial Acumen - Skill
- Strong influencing skills – Skill
- Negotiating skills – Skill
- Strong computer skills - Skill
Drives safety outcomes by consciously directing your actions and the actions of others in a professional manner aimed towards Zero Harm outcomes.
Make HSSE part of what you stand for and support business operations in the management of risk and the implementation of HSSE management system by identifying hazards, reporting all incidents, near misses and potential incidents immediately.
Expected to have a thorough understanding of Z's Zero Harm, Golden Rules and Z Life Savers, and how to apply these in all that you do. Actively participate and provide feedback on HSSE programmes and initiatives. Have an understanding of your HSSE responsibilities under the law.
Actively participate and provide feedback on HSSE programmes and initiatives. Understand how you ensure you achieve HSSE compliance in your areas of responsibility